Your cable modem should operate continuously without maintenance. You should leave the power to the modem on even when your computer is off. If your cable modem isn't working, try these troubleshooting measures. Be sure to try each step:
- Check your cable TV service. If there's a cable outage, neither your TV nor the Internet connection will work.
- Check all of your cable connections. If your coaxial, Ethernet, or USB connections are loose, you may not be able to send or receive data.
- If you have a cable modem ONLY (no router), or a Gateway (modem and router together), reset the modem by unplugging the power to the modem. Wait 60 seconds, plug it back in.
- If you have both a modem and a separate router, unplug the power from both. Wait 60 seconds, then plug in the power to the modem. Wait 2 minutes, then plug the power back into the router.
- Reboot your computer. Many computer problems are resolved by shutting down and restarting your computer.
- If you have a surge protector, make sure it is plugged in and that it doesn’t need to be reset.