Business Continuity & IT Disaster Recovery
Do you know how to respond if a disaster strikes your business causing an unplanned internet disruption? How would you minimize downtime and losses while working towards a quick recovery? If you’re not sure, Breezeline can help you get better prepared.
Don’t get caught without a plan to safeguard your business from major and minor events that can impact your operations. Find answers to your disaster recovery and business continuity questions from Breezeline.
What is business continuity planning?
Business continuity planning is the process of preparing a response plan to keep your business running in case a disaster or another threat to your organization occurs.
Scenarios that could lead to internet disruption and losses include:
- Storms and other weather-related incidents
- Carrier outages
- Equipment Failure
- Lines accidentally getting cut and other human error
- Security breach or cyberattack
Whether you’re facing a natural disaster or human-caused incident, having business continuity procedures already in place helps you deal with these situations with minimal disturbance to your operations.
What is network redundancy and why is it important?
Network redundancy ensures your networks and related systems have multiple routes of communication and connectivity in case one fails. Having several pathways for your network helps ensure you’ve got a reliable backup plan in place to act as a failsafe in an unexpected interruption.
Consider these factors when designing a redundant network:
- Network procedures
- Data backup methods
- Power options
- WAN connections
What is disaster recovery?
In the event that an emergency occurs, disaster recovery is the process of carrying out your business continuity plan to recover your IT systems. These IT disaster recovery procedures will help get your business data back in order as soon as possible and with the least amount of disruption to your organization to minimize your losses. These are reasons that you need a business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR) plan to keep your business safeguarded against unexpected interruptions.
How to make a BCDR plan
Creating an effective BCDR plan will be specific to your business operations system and needs. However, there are some general tips to guide you in building IT disaster recovery plans:
- First and foremost, document an emergency response plan to keep your employees safe. This should include directions of where to go for safety and access to resources and supplies.
- Assess the maximum potential risk or damage and make any necessary tech upgrades to help minimize those damages.
- Keep a digital inventory of your valuables and make sure they’re insured. Use cloud storage solutions to store copies of important digital documents and backup your servers frequently.
- Create internet redundancy with backup technology and a secondary network connection in case the main connection is lost.
- Work with your business partners and vendors to ensure everyone knows their role in the BCDR plan.
- Put IT security measures in place to prevent future breaches and attacks.
As a general rule, keep an eye out for the latest weather events in your area to help you prepare for potential natural disasters.
Learn more with our resources for making a weather-related business continuity plan.
Breezeline Business Solutions Can Help
Whether you own and operate a small, local business or a large enterprise, our services can support operations in a wide range of industries and help you prepare for disaster situations. We offer dedicated internet access, fiber solutions, metro ethernet service, and 4G LTE backup to keep your business running smoothly.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can support the needs of your business.